Thursday, May 10, 2007

Catching up with 7-40-7

Daddy-O: Defiantly. I think energy is definitely essential to make any good band. And when we write a song we have never had any difficulties. We work well in that sense. Someone brings a riff or a general idea and we jam it out and make a structure that makes sense to us all. “My Space” is helpful in getting your name out there or is the turn out at your shows about the same?
Rob: Our turn outs have gotten better not only due to “My Space,” but also due to us getting our more making more contacts with bands. “My Space” has helped a great deal as far as getting out of town gigs. For instance, in January we will be playing in Vegas at the Cooler Lounge with a burlesque troupe. It's also fun and good for moral to hear feed back on our music from people not only in LA but outside too. People tend to appreciate bands more.
Daddy-O: With modern technology the way it is, it defiantly seems easier to get connections and become friends with other bands. What's your favorite song to play live?
Rob: oh yeah way easier. For local bands trying to get their names out there. That’s the way to go. You hear about bands just flooding their songs to record labels they throw those away. You have to make ripples in the pond to get noticed.
My favorite song to play live has to be “Wreckingball”. It's a more rockabilly/psychobilly-ish song. Starting kinda slow, then it gets hard and the lyrics are pretty good. Girls like it a lot. Well, maybe I like to play it just 'cause the girls like the song. *laughs*
Daddy-O: Any bras onstage?
Rob: no not yet *laughs* but there’s always girls trying to be cute to get free shirts and cds. Although [a girl came] on stage in g strings and pole danced on the mic stand. That was pretty sexy.
Daddy-O: Alright since this is also a car magazine. What do you drive?
Rob: *laughs* Well, I am currently working on a get around car. It's a 1990 mustang 5.0 v8. I got it for 500 bucks and I'm putting a cold air intake and performance exhaust. My baby is my 1969 Lincoln Continental with suicide doors. I worked on it my self. Rebuilt the engine. 462 7.5 liter monster. So yeah, I'm more into the old lead sleds. The other guys in the band have modern cars except for Dan who has a V.W. bus. [I’m] not sure what year but he's also working on it himself.
Daddy-O: Very nice! You've got some nice toys there. But what's your dream car?
Rob: My dream car would be a 59 Bonneville with all the chrome interior. I love those cars. They’re so classic. You'd think a guy like me would want a hot rod. *laughs* Nah, I like the nice sleek luxury cars. The kind you see old guys on discovery channel cherrying out. They’re pretty nice. As far as hot rods go, I guess I'd like a Model A with a big Lincoln motor in it. That would haul ass. [I want one] that’s red. I'd make mine look like the car from the “Munsters.”
Daddy-O: I think the red paint makes it go faster.
Rob: Yeah, paint is important to performance.
Daddy-O: I always thought it was.

Originally published May 2004 in Daddy-O magazine (a magazine written, designed and published by myself.)

No comments: