Thursday, May 10, 2007

Devil Doll "The Queen of Pain"

Daddy-O knows that its readers only want the very best and that’s what we’re here for, to give you the very best. We traveled the country with our team of experts to bring you the next big thing in Rockabilly, test it out, and bring it straight to the people. Here it is, Daddy-O’s pick of the month! This month we’ll be taking a closer look at Devil Doll’s new album, “Queen of Pain.”
From the first notes of “St. Christopher,” to the last notes of “Union Square,” Devil Doll’s sultry voice entices the listener and puts them under a spell making them feel high than any drug could take them. Devil Doll combines her intoxicatingly ingenious brew of a silk soft voice with the gently plucking of her upright bass to bring back the rhythm and feel of lounge singers of the 1940’s. Ella would be proud.
Her voice grows and swells from a seductive growl in “Heart Sized Crush,” to a smooth, soothing purr in “Walk with Me,” to a seductively angry snarl in “King of Brooklyn” all the while remaining smooth, sultry, controlled and precise. She is all a lounge singer should be and so, so much more.
Devil Doll, born Charleen, has been wowing intoxicated crowds for years with her confident eyes, well sculpted body, piercing green eyes, soothing yet energizing voice and the power of her upright bass. With the help from one of her hopelessly devoted fans Devil Doll has moved her sultry swooning from the bar to the recording studio to great her demo masterpiece that is available to you, my lucky readers, to listen to as much as you want whenever you want in the comfort of your own home. Yes my friends, you are free to drool and some monkey of a bouncer will not kick you out for it.
When asked what she thought of her new album Devil Doll replied, “You know, I’m really happy about the way it turned out. I was a little skeptical going in because the producers wanted to use more instruments than just me and my bass and that’s what I’m used to. I mean, I’ve been doing shows with just myself and the bass for years. But in all honesty, I think that everyone did a great job maintaining my personal style for the songs and enhancing my stylizing on the bass with the other instruments rather than drowning it out. I would defiantly bring these bad boys on tour with me.”
You can catch Devil Doll at Taylor’s Lounge in Redlands, CA on December 11th (see calendar section for more details.) You can also find out more about this luscious lady and her new album by visiting her website at www.devil-doll.com. Album also available at www.cdbaby.com.
So the votes are in and it’s unanimous two thumbs way, way up all across the board. Kids, get on the internet now and buy this album for anyone you know. This album is great for anyone from your grandma who listens to Ella Fitzgerald, to your 12 year old nephew who listens to Brian Setzer and thinks he started it all. It’s all the pleasure of a lounge without the lounge itself. Go, Daddy-O!

Songs to check out: “Heart Sized Crush,” “King of Brooklyn,” “16 Days"

originally published May 2004 for Daddy-O magazine (magazine written, designed and published by myself)

No comments: